Washing cloth diapers
Washing diapers between changes & cloth diaper washing routine. Is washing cloth diapers hard? These are the most common questions regarding washing dirty reusable diapers.
How do I empty dirty diapers?
If the paper liner has been soiled, you can drop the poo into the toilet right away or you can wash down the poop from the diaper insert with clear water.
- You can treat the stains with stain remover bar soap first and then rinse it again.
How to store dirty cloth diapers?
- After rinsing, you can put them in a pail. Dry storing of the cloth nappies is recommended. It can be a good idea to add a few drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil, or citrus essential oil. It sanitizes the cloth diapers and masks the nasty smell. Don`t forget to take out any insert from the diaper cover, so you can just put everything at once into the washing machine. Soaking your diapers is not recommended.
- After 3-4 days you can wash your diapers, in this way washing will be economical and you can schedule your energy and time in the best way. Diapers don’t wear out either if you don’t wash them daily. If you don’t want to wait days, you can wash them daily. Never fill the washing machine completely, only 3/4 of the way, so that the diapers can be rinsed with enough water.
- If you use reusable diapers with Velcro (hook and loop), use the laundry tabs. Where you fold the Velcro over when washing, to avoid getting it stuck on other diapers or inserts. You can even use a washing bag to be 100% sure.
- What detergent is best for cloth diapers? Almost any commercial detergent that does not contain fabric softeners works. Some work better than others depending on your washing machine, water hardness, and cloth diaper material. Commercial detergents also generally contain additives to help soften water, so a commercial detergent might be the best detergent for cloth diapers in hard water.
- Do not use fabric softeners, laundry soaps and nuts. They cause build up in dur to oil content.
- Cold rinse program is recommended before washing if the diapers are heavily soiled.
- ECO programs are not recommended due to low water usage.
- Choose intense wash cycle for your diapers!
- If you have a HE machine, increase the amount of water used if your machine has setting for it or you can also add 4-5 gallon of water directly before the wash cycle, so your washing machine will add more water by weighing down your load with wet diapers and diaper inserts.
Drying cloth diapers
- We always recommend line drying where possible.
- Between spring and autumn try to hang them outside. Sunshine has sanitizing effect and stains will disappear. Long exposure to the sun may damage the PUL fabric.
- Machine tumble dry medium.
- Important! Cloth diapers must be completely dry before using them again.
How to store cloth diapers?
- After washing and drying the diapers, assemble them, so they are ready to use!
YOU CAN USE OUR WET BAGS FOR STORING DIRTY DIAPERS